South Carolina Columbia Mission

South Carolina Columbia Mission

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Merry Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I first off want to say how much I love y'all! I hope that you had a Merry Christmas, and were able to see your loved ones; but most importantly, you spent that Christmas Sabbath reflecting on the things that Christ brings into our lives. There are many different ways that we can show love and appreciation to Him, and one of them is by spending time giving service to one another.

This week was quite eventful! I had my first southern meal, which is called Chicken Bog, and is actually pretty good! Most of the time when people make it, it is full of chicken bones and you have to take them out, but the Hudacko family were very kind, and didn't make Sister Fox and I do that. Our next meal with them is supposed to be something called Chicken Dump I think... I can't wait!! I love the South so much!

One of the cool things about the South is the fact that most families live so close together; like you walk down one road and pretty much everyone has the last name of Vereen, Bellemy, or Stalvey. So we got this referral named Ronya, and we have been teaching her. We have also have been asked to knock on the doors around their homes, so we did and we found her cousin Marva. We went back and were able to teach her the Restoration. When we were asking her if she could come to church we mentioned that she could carpool with Ronya and then we found out that they actually HATE EACH OTHER! It was kind of funny because we had been going back and forth between the two houses for a couple of days! But Marva still wants to take lessons which is really cool! PLEASE PRAY for them that they will make it to church this Sunday. We are really trying to help them both make it!

We also found out yesterday that pretty much everyone that is in the ward are somehow related to each other. They are all related to a Stalvey, which is really funny, and hard to follow sometimes! We try using last names but almost everyone is family so we have to include first names so we can keep track of who is who!

We also had tons of people at church this Sunday. Not as many as there would be in Utah, but pretty big compared to what we usually have. We even had to open the back section to fit everyone, which we never do!

Another cool experience that we had this week was on Thursday! We had planned on doing a service project, but the lady never showed up. We ended up leaving and changed into our proselyting clothes. As we were about to go knocking, we got a call from a member in the ward saying he had a lady he wanted us to teach the plan of Salvation to. We jumped at the chance because that NEVER happens (our ward struggles with missionary work). We drove about 20 minutes to get to this weird message-detox place, and Brother Selph paid for us to get our feet detoxed.  As the member was walking away, he leaned in to Sister Fox and I and said "Oh how I love MAKING people hear the lessons. Have fun!" It was so funny! So we had 30 minutes to teach her and she couldn't leave or run, because she was getting her feet detoxed too! How funny!!

I also heard in Utah that there was about 10 feet of snow! I just want y'all to know that here it was 80 degrees and people were tanning on Christmas Eve! It was so weird to see!

Sister Fox and I also found out that people in the south make Pig Head Cheese which is where you soak a pig's head in water and then make cheese out of it! I also got a picture of it. We weren't able to try it but I heard it was a delicacy, so I might be able to try it before I go home.

I hope y'all have an amazing New Year’s Weekend and BE SAFE! Know that this is the time to set goals and fulfill them. When we accomplish goals we get better, and that is what the purpose of this life is. It is to grow and to follow Christ as best that you can. He set the greatest example and I encourage y'all to take every step you can to follow him; like saying your prayers every day, serving others, loving people who wrong you, going to the temple, going to church, and spreading the gospel! Missionaries cannot do it alone but with the members help we can accomplish miracles!

I love y'all.

If you want to send letters or emails I love to get them so feel free!

Love,

Sister Lewis






No comments:

Post a Comment